Saturday, October 6, 2007

Some Thoughts on Definition of "SUCCESS"

In our last meeting, everyone seemed to agree to write something on the definition of “to be successful”. What is the SUCCESS exactly?

One of the professors at Concordia University in Montreal, Canada, who is a Jewish, handicapped, and a good thinker, had told us in one of his classes that SUCCESS means you have moneys. He looked at us and said, “Did you see that there are 3 s and one u? It means you have to have money and a lot of $$$ in order to be successful!”

At that day, I was surprised because he interpreted the success in his very special way. However, I didn’t think that it is right. Even today, I still don’t think so.

Can we measure our success by using Money? What is real success?

Everyone has her/his own thinking about the success. They all had different standards or measures to measure themselves. The point is that they won’t be happy or satisfied if they use the wrong measures.

I discussed with my husband about the definition of SUCCESS. He asked, “What do you think?”

I responded, “Once I accomplished one thing that I think I was very successful at some points, I found that it is just the beginning of another things. For example, when I found a job in a middle-sized accounting firm and my salaries increased from $25,000 to $35,000. At that moment, I was full of joy and I thought that I was so successful. Then, I understood that it is just a starting point of another race. ” Did you see it? I was using a wrong example!

My husband paused a second and said, “ I think, ‘to be successful’ is something when you are going to die tomorrow, and you reflect and say to yourself. ‘I am successful mother/father, I am a successful business man/woman, or I was successful, and I was happy at certain point …’”

Sometimes, don’t you think, as a Chinese, we always have so high standard to define the SUCCESS. Therefore, sometimes, we found we are not satisfied about what we had at this moment and we thought we are not successful but actually we are!


Dear friends, enjoy what we have right now! As an immigrant in a new country, we all are very successful from different perspectives and at some points! As long as we go through each stage of our new lives in Canada, as long as we are improving ourselves everyday, who cares that somebody says that we are not so successful because we don't have a lot of $$$!

Please note that this is just some thoughts about the definition of "the sucess". Hopefully, it can be helpful for you.


No comments: